Prose Poem: “I don’t like poetry”

sunset

Whoever says, “I don’t like poetry” is a liar. Poetry exists everywhere. It’s in sunrise, nightfall, rain and thunder as much as it is in a mundane book, bed, mantelpiece or window. It’s in a new born babe’s first cry as it is in a flurry of birds shearing through the skies like jets on 4th of July. Whoever says “I don’t like poetry” has never really listened to the random sounds that make up words that make up languages that make monkeys human. He has never been swept by a mother’s eyes brimming with an ocean of love, nor admired old lover’s holding hands, holding canes crossing the road of life.

But if he truly has never seen nor experienced any of that, he hasn’t yet lived, nor loved. Pity the man who has neither lived nor loved. For if he did, he would never have said, “I don’t like poetry!”

Advertisements

9 Comments Add yours

1. The last line reminded me of a specific Shakespeare’s sonnet. This is really nice. 🙂

1. Neha Jain says:

Thank you. Do you know which one? I used to read Shakespeare in school but find myself more interested in contemporary poets these days.

1. I’m not sure but I think it’s Sonnet 116 ☺.

1. Neha Jain says:

WOW! You are good. Thanks I will check it out.

2. srbottch says:

Poetry is like anything else, some I like and some I dont like. But some I really like, have memorized and even recited by memory and videotaped it on YouTube (@srbottch on YouTube). Theyre, long, narrative poems and you may recognize a couple. Don’t laugh at my serious face, it was hard enough just to remember the words. Let me know if you watch. Meantime, ‘…I have miles to go before I sleep…’. Bye, for now. And I loved your posting. You are always interesting.

1. Neha Jain says:

Thank you for stopping by and your kind comments 🙂

3. Paula says:

You are right 🙂 Did you take this poetic photo, Neha?

1. Neha Jain says:

Hey, no I did not take this photo. Its from unsplash.

So cute of you to drop me a line

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s